Thursday, November 18, 2010

Exploring New Foods: Recipe V

In my quest for soup recipes, I requested a recipe from my sister-in-law's mother-in-law (are you following?) Well, along with the soup recipe I asked for, she also included a few other recipes and we decided to try the Taco Shells, a a fun twist on tacos crossed with italian stuffed shells. It was an easy recipe to make... Derek actually prepared it while I was on my way home from work since we had some time constraints today.

Val's Taco Shells

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
  • 3oz cream cheese
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 16 Jumbo shells
  • Taco Sauce
  • 2 c Shredded Cheese
  • Tortilla chips
Directions:
  • Boil shells.
  • Brown ground beef, drain grease.  Add cream cheese, chili powder and salt & pepper. Simmer 5 minutes.
  • Fill shells with beef mixture, place into a 9x13 baking dish. Cover with taco sauce and bake 15 minutes at 350. Add shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Notes/Changes:
  • We didn't add the tortilla chips.
Review:

Success! I really enjoyed this recipe as a fun spin on traditional tacos.  We were in a hurry today, so Derek made it and that was the whole meal.  Ideally, it would be great served with salad, or keeping with the mexican theme, refried beans or black bean & corn salsa.
The only thing I would consider changing would be to add some taco seasoning to the ground beef, but it was great just the way it is too!

No comments:

Post a Comment