Friday, January 7, 2011

Frugal Finds!

I'm on a quest to save money and maximize what I have. I think there are many people in the same boat, so I know this is going to be nothing earth shattering, but I am so excited!

I frequently visit AC Moore for yarns, knitting needles, crochet hooks and various other craft items for things I'm working on or planning for Victoria. I LOVE AC Moore.  We have a Michael's and also a Jo-Ann Fabrics, but AC Moore seems to be the nicest in the area.

When I started getting back into crocheting and knew I'd be frequenting the store a lot more often, I joined their rewards program. 200 points earns you a $10 rewards check. By the end of November, I had reached my 200 points and got my certificate in mid-December.  I finally went yesterday to redeem it. It was really burning a hole in my pocket, much like spending money did when I was younger - but I wanted to save it up to use it towards something that was useful or needed. 

Well, I went yesterday intent on getting the black yarn I needed to finish Teddy's star and since I had a fabulous 50% off coupon, I knew I would need to get something else in order to not lose my reward. I decided that I would check out the blue cotton yarns to work on the favors for Ben's party and was very excited to find a large skein of the color I wanted, which isn't always the case with 100% cotton yarns.  I figured that after my coupon and my two large skeins, I would owe about $3, which I considered pretty awesome.  You can imagine my surprise when I handed the cashier my coupon   & reward and reached into my wallet for my debit card and she said "Oh, you owe nothing". WOW!  Turns out the cotton was on sale for $5.99 compared to the normal price of $8.99 - that took care of the extra $3 I thought I would owe. I couldn't have planned that better if I tried. My total would have been $9.98 if I didn't have the reward and $16.98 without the reward or coupon.  Needless to say I was pleased.  I love savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment