Cheddar Potato Chowder
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- In a dutch oven, combine first 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables until combined.
I didn't have any ham on hand, so I skipped it. We also left out the chopped onion since we don't really care for onions in our house. I also only used half the amount of cheese because I didn't realize that I was nearly out of shredded cheese!
It didn't live up to the ridiculously high expectations that I had for it. I love potato soup, could eat it daily I love it so much. I just don't have a recipe for one yet. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't what I wanted. Derek commented that it didn't have enough potato flavor, and I could agree with that. I only used half the amount of cheese since I forgot to get more, and that may have added a little to the disappointment. There's leftovers from dinner, and I will eat them because it was good, just not great. I have some ideas for changing the recipe a bit, but I am going to continue my potato soup recipe quest.