- 8 ounces Elbow Macaroni
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta. Drain.
- In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt & pepper in medium saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Add margarine, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1-3/4 cups cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- I used half sharp cheddar cheese and half monterey jack.
- I topped half the mac and cheese with panko breadcrumbs before baking.
No surprises here- it was great! Victoria had two helpings of it, of course. The panko was a fabulous addition. I grew up with baked mac & cheese topped with breadcrumbs, but Derek isn't a fan and Victoria goes back and forth, so I decided to only do half. Panko is so much crunchier than the regular breadcrumbs, almost a mix between chips and breadcrumbs for the topping. It packed a nice crunch. I'll obviously make it again, I just wish I would have realized how quick & easy it is to prepare!!