Saturday, December 11, 2010

Exploring New Foods: Recipe VII

Homemade mac & cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods, especially during the winter.  Surprisingly, it's something I haven't made- I've always eaten it when my grandmother makes it, along with her awesome fish fillets. My favorite was when my grandfather would go deep sea fishing for sea bass. YUM!  Well,  mac & cheese is a favorite of Victoria's and she loves going to Mam-mam's to have it.  At one point, she even told me that Mam-mam stays at home to cook mac & cheese. My grandmother makes the Mueller's mac & cheese recipe, minus the dry mustard, so that's where I got my recipe from.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces Elbow Macaroni
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded American or Cheddar cheese, divided


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375°F.
  • Cook pasta. Drain.
  • In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt & pepper in medium saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Add margarine, stirring constantly.
  • Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute.
  • Remove from heat. Stir in 1-3/4 cups cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  • Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Notes/Changes:
  • I used half sharp cheddar cheese and half monterey jack.
  • I topped half the mac and cheese with panko breadcrumbs before baking.
Review:
 No surprises here- it was great!  Victoria had two helpings of it, of course.  The panko was a fabulous addition.  I grew up with baked mac & cheese topped with breadcrumbs, but Derek isn't a fan and Victoria goes back and forth, so I decided to only do half. Panko is so much crunchier than the regular breadcrumbs, almost a mix between chips and breadcrumbs for the topping. It packed a nice crunch. I'll obviously make it again, I just wish I would have realized how quick & easy it is to prepare!!

No comments:

Post a Comment