Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Exploring New Foods: Recipe VI

I haven't tried a new recipe in about two weeks with Thanksgiving and then the family being away.  This week, I'm trying a new recipe, but it is something I've made before.  I haven't made Beef Stroganoff in at least two years and I just found a new slowcooker recipe in an old (2007) issue of Taste of Home magazine. Slowcooker recipes are perfect for the busy days we've been having with gymnastics and Derek's nighttime work schedule.

Slowcooker Celery Beef Stroganoff 
Ingredients:
  • 2lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 can condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 jar (6oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 envelope onion soup mix
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Hot cooked noodles
Directions:

  • Combine everything except sour cream and noodles in a 3qt slowcooker.
  • Cook on low for 8 hours or until beef is tender.
  • Stir in sour cream and serve over noodles.
Notes/Changes:
I didn't add the chopped onion or jar of mushrooms since we don't like onions and I'm the only one to eat mushrooms.

Review:
It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't fantastic either. I've had better.  I can't pinpoint my disappointment, though I'd have to say that it tasted very salty, which I'm assuming came from the soups and onion soup mix since I didn't add any salt.
I might try again, but it would need a bit of tweaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment