Friday, December 31, 2010

Exploring New Foods: Valerie's Chicken Corn Chowder

I've been falling behind on the new recipes with the hustle and bustle of the holidays.  But, finally, I'm back to trying my hand at some new recipes.  This recipe was shared by Valerie, my sister-in-law's mother-in-law. I tried this chowder when we spent our weekend at camp for Labor Day and it was delicious- I just hope that I was able to recreate the delicious soup that Valerie makes!

Valerie's Chicken Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
  • 2c potatoes
  • 1 1/4 onion
  • 6 tbs butter
  • 6 tbs flour
  • 2c Chicken Broth
  • 1 8oz can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 16oz can cream-style corn
  • 1 16oz can whole kernel corn
  • 2c cooked, chopped chicken
  • 1 pint heavy cream
  • 3/4c milk
  • 2 Tbs shredded carrots 
Directions:
  • Cook onions & potatoes in butter 3-5 minutes over medium heat. 
  • Stir in flour, cook 5-6 minutes until golden.
  • Increase heat and add broth slowly, whisking until smooth.
  • Reduce heat; add remaining ingredients and cook 15-30 minutes.  
Notes/Changes:
  • I didn't use the onion
  • I used a bit more carrot, about 5 baby carrots, shredded.
Review:

Awesome!! This soup is so good and I'm glad I was about to make it like Valerie did when I tried it.  When I asked Derek if there's anything he would change, like I always do, the only thing he asked for was more carrots. He loves carrots. So the plan is that next time, I'll just chop carrots and cook them in the butter with the potatoes to soften them.  This recipe is so good though that it doesn't need any modifications and if he wasn't such a carrot lover, there would be NO changes! Will make it again...and again...and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment