Monday, August 15, 2011

An interesting twist on Sheppard's Pie- Low carb style

Sheppard's Pie is one of those meals that we all love. Victoria calls them Irish Tacos, which I think is so funny - but yet it makes sense to me.  We haven't attempted to make Sheppard's pie since I started following LCHF but it's been mentioned a few times. Well, I had the solution - I'd make mine with cauliflower.

So - Derek made up the meat/gravy/corn mixture and I steamed cauliflower and got the potatoes boiling for mashed potatoes.  The only problem was that I didn't let the cauliflower get mushy enough so it wasn't creamy mashed cauliflower, but more of just tiny bits of cauliflower on my "Sheppard's Pie". 



We layered the meat/gravy/corn mixture on the bottom of my 8x8 dish and then also in a smaller baking dish.  I layered cheese on top of the meat mixture for each and topped the larger dish with mashed potatoes and the smaller dish with my mashed cauliflower. Derek was pleased because there was still quite a bit left for tomorrow's lunch, and I even had lunch leftovers from my cauliflower version too.


I do have to say that I'm not sure this would work for you if you didn't enjoy cauliflower but I love it and it was a great alternative!

No comments:

Post a Comment