Saturday, November 6, 2010

Exploring New Foods: Recipe II

Okay, so this isn't so much a new recipe, but it's something I've never actually made before and have just recently started loving.  It's something that my sister in law makes and it's commonly served at parties, yet I've never had a desire to make it at home.  But, it's football season and during football season in our house, I like to make "football foods". You know, the snack type foods that you can pick at all day long if you really want to or pizza/Stromboli or cheese steaks and hoagies.


So, here's my first attempt - kind of following a recipe that a friend gave me years back, and kind of just throwing it all together as I go like my sister in law said she does.


Buffalo Chicken Dip


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2-2 lbs cooked chicken breast
  • 1 cup hot sauce/wing sauce 1 cup ranch dressing
  • 8oz cream cheese
  • 8oz shredded cheddar cheese


Directions:
  • Cook chicken and cube
  • Cube cream cheese
  • In a crockpot, mix together chicken, cream cheese, ranch dressing, hot wing sauce and most of the shredded cheese.
  • Use an electric hand mixer to combine and shred up the chicken
  • Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of mixture
  • Cook in crockpot on high for about 30 minutes and then switch to warm.
Serve with dippers of your choice


Notes:
  •  I used a 3 cheese blend of Vermont sharp, Wisconsin sharp and New York sharp.
  •  I used Ken's Buffalo chicken marinade/sauce
  • For dippers, we had sliced French Baguette (untoasted) and Tostitos scoops. Celery and Carrots are also good dippers.
Review:
It was pretty good. Next time I'll use a bit more chicken or cream cheese to thicken it up - or I'll mix it a little less.  I'd also like to try with Bleu Cheese dressing instead of Ranch- but I'm not a huge fan of Bleu cheese, so maybe 1/2 and 1/2. I also might try shredding the chicken and just mixing the ingredients and letting them cook together- though the electric mixer is so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment